12 Step Statements and Prayers
Serenity Prayer -- God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Third Step Prayer -- God, I offer myself to Thee – to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of Life. May I do Thy will always!
Seventh Step Prayer -- My Creator, I am now willing that you should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that you now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to you and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do your bidding. Amen.
Eleventh Step Prayer -- Lord, make me a channel of Thy peace; that where there is hatred, I may bring love; that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness; that where there is discord, I may bring harmony; that where there is error, I may bring truth; that where there is doubt, I may bring faith; that where there is despair, I may bring hope; that where there are shadows, I may bring light. that where there is sadness, I may bring joy. Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort, than to be comforted; to understand, than to be understood; to love, than to be loved. For it is by self forgetting, that one finds. It is by forgiving, that one is forgiven. It is by dying, that one awakens to Eternal Life. Amen.
The 'Promises' -- From pages 83-84 in 'The Big Book'. If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are halfway through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves. Are these extravagant promises? We think not! They are being fulfilled among us, Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.
NA and AA Serenity Prayer -- God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
NA Third Step Prayer -- Take my will and my life, guide me in my recovery, show me how to live.
NA Gratitude Motto -- My gratitude speaks, when I care and when I share with others the N.A. way.
NA Basic Text Preface Prayer -- We cannot change the nature of the addict or addiction. We can help to change the old lie 'Once an addict, always an addict,' by striving to make recovery more available. God, help us to remember this difference.
NA Service Statement -- Everything that occurs in the course of NA Service must be motivated by the desire to more successfully carry the message of recovery to the addict who still suffers. It was for this reason that we began this work. We must always remember that as individual members, groups and service committees, we are not and should never be in competition with each other. We work separately and together to help the newcomer and for our common good. We have learned, painfully, that internal strife cripples our Fellowship, and prevents us from providing the services necessary for growth.
NA Service Prayer -- GOD, grant us knowledge that we may write* according to Your Divine precepts. Instill in us a sense of Your purpose. Make us servants of Your will and grant us a bond of selflessness, that this may truly be Your work, not ours —in order that no addict, anywhere, need die from the horrors of addiction.
*( 'act' or 'work' may be substituted for 'write' in our committee meetings.)
Spiritual Principles Of Narcotics Anonymous
1. Hope - Hope gives us something positive to look for and move towards. We can admit our need for help as we begin to share in our common welfare.
2. Surrender - Surrender to the things we cannot change through our own power is a way to get on with our lives. We seek a Higher Power of our own understanding and that becomes our ultimate guide and source of strength.
3. Acceptance - Acceptance allows evasion and denial to give way to reality and peace. With the care of God, we are granted the power to welcome new people and new ideas into our lives.
4. Honesty - Honesty is the ability to match up our insides with our outsides. It allows what we don’t care about to go away and what we really want to appear and develop in our lives.
5. Open Mindedness - Open mindedness is our bridge to the experience of others. It is the passageway out of loneliness into the life of the Spirit.spiritual principles of na.
6. Willingness - Willingness to try is the beginning of doing our part. However grand or humble that might be, it is a state of readiness replacing depression and anxiety.
7. Faith - Faith is the evidence of our trust in God. True faith is the result of surrender coupled with experience that God can and will do for us if we ask for help.na spiritual principles
8. Tolerance - Tolerance is knowing the other person has the same spirit in them as us and being curious about what that spirit is trying to do.
9. Patience - Patience is taking time for things to move into place without force or breakage.
10. Humility - Humility is knowing the importance of doing our part well and being open to the many forms of help required for a full and abundant life.
11. Unconditional Love - Unconditional love is given where we sense our spirit in another human being.
12. Sharing - Sharing and caring is the active and passive forms of love that keeps us alive and allowing God to use us as instruments.